Tuesday 11 February 2014

Another batwing top

So, this is the December Burda Challenge from last year. The eagle-eyed amongst you may notice there's not been a November one... So close to completing my challenge, but so far! I think Burda fatigue had well and truly kicked in by then, and despite objectively liking a few of the patterns in the November magazine, nothing really grabbed me enough that I wanted to spend the time making it. Oh well, I WILL complete this challenge, just not in twelve months as I'd intended. In the spirit of just getting it done already, I chose this pattern as a quick one to sew up (although it's ok, I do need some comfortable but slightly more dressy tops...).

Pattern description

BurdaStyle magazine 12/2013/128: Batwing top with long cuffs.

Pattern sizing

34-42. I graded up to 44.

Fabric used

A sheer sparkly knit, plus bamboo jersey for the cuffs.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope when you were done?

Mostly, although with the fabric I used mine was a lot less drapey.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

I didn't really use them as this is a very simple top, however, from my quick glance through, they seem fairly straightforward.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I really like the long, narrow cuffs, I think it streamlines the casualness of the batwing sleeves. No dislikes!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made

I made a swayback adjustment using the quick method of rotating the back shoulder and neckline down (I could have taken a bit more off here actually) and added a bit more width at the hips as my fabric wasn't super stretchy. This sparkly fabric is also a bit itchy, so I decided to use a contrast fabric for the cuffs. This meant that the cutting layout would have been very wasteful, so I cut the back piece with a centre back seam. I narrowed the cuff sections a fair amount as they were quite loose as drafted, and I finished the neckline with fold-over elastic instead of the suggested binding strip.

Construction details

Seams were sewn on the serger, with the neckline elastic and hem finished with my regular sewing machine. FOE is much easier to apply (especially narrow ones like this) when sewn in two passes: first sew the inside half with a zig-zag stitch, then fold over and stitch the outside down (I used a straight stitch as it didn't need to stretch much).

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I might sew this again in a drapier fabric - it will be a nice quick project as a palette cleanser between others! I would recommend this to others, it is nicely drafted, and super quick to make up.

Conclusion

Despite the itchiness of the fabric, it's actually fairly comfortable to wear out, and not too hot either. This wasn't quite the fabulous way I was hoping to finish this challenge, but it is still a useful top that fills a hole in my wardrobe.

1 comment:

  1. I like these tops and have just the right fabric in my stash to whip one up for myself.

    ReplyDelete